As soon as Pat got settled in his surprisingly nice, large corner room- he visibly relaxed and slept harder and more peacefully than I have seen him sleep in many months. He so hated being sick at home with all that medical equipment in our family room. As silly as it seems, I know it was a relief for him to be back in his environment- hospital, nurses, monitors, military...etc- that was his job and even being there as a patient seems extremely comforting to him. I am so glad.
He has been asking for several days about whether it was time for him to leave yet. We did finally talk and we were able to make some headway concerning what is happening. He reassured me over and over that everything will be okay and for me not to worry. So I am resolved to do my best!
Kelsey and Derek came with us to the hospital this morning. They were both impressed by the wonderful staff and the facility. It is very homelike and not at all depressing or sad. It is just like the opposite of a birth center with all the medical equipment available in a comforting setting. We can bring anything we want to decorate his room as well as food, snacks..etc and there is a mini-fridge and microwave for us as well. For as all-around terrible of a situation this is, I honestly feel good about this latest step on our journey. The doctor spent well over and hour visiting with us getting Pat's history but also just chatting and getting to know us as a family. I think the older kids and I all breathed a sigh of relief when we left to come home with strict instructions to eat a healthy, filling meal and to all take naps and not to worry about being at Pat's bedside around the clock. The prescription for 50 hugs a day was a nice touch from the doctor as well.
The priest also stopped in almost as soon as we got all the paperwork done. He is a jolly sort of guy with a thick Polish accent and we liked him immediately. I have to say that I've never had anyone rattle through the Lord's Prayer and the Hail Mary so quickly that the kids and I could barely mumble along and blurt out the "Amen" at the end :) Pat was very happy to receive communion since he has not been able to attend church since Easter. Something else to be thankful for today!
I guess I'd have to say that all in all, I feel as content and at peace as a person possibly could in this kind of heart-wrenching situation. I know that God's hand was busy making these arrangements possible and all of the prayers and positive thoughts we are receiving on a daily basis are giving us strength. Thank you so very much! Thanks also for all the cards we are receiving. I am taking them with me to read to Pat and display in his room so that he can feel the love! I will also do my best to relay any and all messages and good thoughts you have for Pat so don't hesitate to leave a comment or send me a message and I will be sure pass it along.
On a totally unrelated note, as we were leaving the hospital parking lot, our car started sputtering and stalling until we were able to finally inch across a busy intersection to park it and call a tow truck. We then comically squished into the truck's front seat to take the car to the dealership where it was plugged to the computer which spit out 11 problem codes that they are still checking out. So much for having a brand new reliable vehicle! It's only 9 mos old and has 10k miles on it so it's under warranty! Something else to be thankful for today!
Love and hugs to all!
Today's Glass Half Full: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller
4 comments:
Even with all this, you are calmer today than I have seen you in many months. The power of prayer, and peace that passes all understanding, from everywhere is working on you, and on the kids.
Stay strong, the saviors arms are around you.
Love and prayers lydia
Tammy, we are thinking of you all and wishing you peace.
~Aimee (Julie's friend)
I wondered if there was such a thing as a live-in hospice. My sister and I took care of my mother in my sister's home with vague hospice care (mostly, they provided equipment) and I thought it was kind of cruel; we didn't know how to move her without causing her pain. I'm thrilled to know that Pat's in a place where he's comfortable and his needs can be taken care of without exhausting you. Love and prayers to all of you.
Post a Comment