Thursday, April 22, 2010

Cancer...it sucks

Well, for every step forward it seems we take a step back. Pat's more detailed MRI showed that his cancer has spread to his spine, which explains the back pain he has been having for the past month. Although it is a small area, much of one of his vertebrae is basically gone. He began radiation treatment this week to try and slow down the 'progression of disease' but he has quickly lost mobility and has reached the point of needing to use a wheelchair to walk more than a few short steps. It is very disheartening. I cannot help but look at him and see him crossing one of the many finish lines of races he has run over the years. I cannot imagine how hard this is for him yet his spirits are good and he is keeping a brave face for us all, especially the kids.

Tomorrow we have a home health service(Hospice) coming to assess our house to see what we can do to make things easier for Pat to get around. His doctors are hoping that once the radiation is completed in a few weeks that there may be some options to help with Pat's back situation depending on how effective the treatment is at getting rid of the tumor. We are staying positive despite the situation, as usual!

In other (better!)news, I was chosen as the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Honored Teammate for the fall Team in Training season. I will be on the team for the Nike Women's Marathon! I am excited, as always, to be giving back to such a worthwhile and essential organization. I plan to train and fundraise alongside the team and will be headed to San Francisco in Oct for the race! How exciting! I guess I better fire up the treadmill. I have been slacking off since December's RockNRoll race in Vegas- a very flat and fast course. This one will be much more challenging given the terrain in San Francisco. I am especially grateful to have a goal to focus on in the coming months.

Please keep Pat and our entire family in your thoughts and prayers. We so appreciate it.

Today's Glass Half Full: "Resolve to keep happy and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties." ~Helen Keller

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh Tammy- I'm sorry to hear about the setback. I will definitely keep Pat, you and your entire family in my prayers. And, WOW, San Fran will be challenging! When I visited there I had trouble WALKING there! LOL! Good luck to you!

Josie said...

xoxo

Bookfool said...

Prayers coming! Agree with Jennifer -- San Francisco is rough. Vicksburg used to be called "The San Francisco of the South", so we have some pretty steep hills, too, and I've just moved to using a treadmill. I'm getting too old for the big hills.

Hugs to you and yours and best of luck with your run!