Saturday, February 20, 2010

2010- 1 Year in Remission!

Well, I have taken quite a long break from blogging here as I attempted to come to terms with my 'new normal' life post cancer treatment. I am happy to report that one year later, I am in good health and my latest PET and CT scans show no evidence of cancer and in fact, I have regained all of the lung function I had lost due to the strong, aggressive chemotherapy drugs I was subjected to! Hooray.
Due to the radiation to my neck for treatment, my thyroid has been pretty toasted so I am now taking medication to control that and hopefully it will help with my metabolism so that the steroid weight will come off a little bit easier. Blah, what a pain to get cancer AND gain weight!

Patrick is still battling on in his fight with a relentless squamous cell cancer. He has been going pretty much non-stop since his initial diagnosis in Jan 2007. Four major surgeries, five different chemo regimens and three grueling radiation treatment plans later...and things are still progressing, unfortunately. It would be nice for Pat to get a little break from the rigors of cancer treatment and the stress of just trying to be well. It has most certainly not been easy but he is a true fighter and has put up with more than most people could bear. Underneath all the medication, poison, exhaustion, and radiation- he is still my best friend and my love. Cancer cannot change that!
As a soldier in the US Army, Pat has always been my hero for his courage in serving our great nation and going to war- twice, but as a cancer patient he surpasses my admiration even more. He is braver than anyone I have ever known. I am proud to be his wife of almost 20 years! We have faith that all is as it should be, even when we don't agree with the circumstances or outcome. I always try to see the silver lining and consider my glass half full, even on the roughest days.

The kids are all doing well. The older two are practically grown up and gone. The middle two are excelling in school and band and the youngest is the extra dash of joy in our lives. They all keep us extremely busy but even so, it is great to have so many people to love!

I promise to try and update this blog when I can, hopefully more regularly! Please click the link so that you can follow this blog keep up with us.

Today's Glass Half Full: (thank you Winston Churchill) Keep Calm and Carry On!




2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Tammy, I have been wondering about you guys. I am so glad to hear that you are still cancer-free! I am sorry to hear that Pat is still having to struggle, though. I will continue to keep your entire family in my prayers!

Bookfool said...

Yay! I'm so glad you've decided to return to blogging! Congrats on making it to a year in remission. I'm glad you can breathe better. I've developed a bit of asthma with age and I know what a pain it is to be breathless. Prayers for you and the family still going up. Sorry Pat hasn't had a break. You have such a terrific attitude!!!!