Well, tomorrow is May 1st- 10 days since my official diagnosis of Hodgkins Lymphoma. Tomorrow I also start my first of 8 cycles of ABVD chemo. I am actually looking forward to getting started since the sooner I start, the sooner I am finished. In the past several weeks I have been poked, scanned and prodded more than I could have imagined. So far I have had an MRI, CT scan, needle biopsy, surgical biopsy, PET scan, chest xray, mammogram, ultrasound, MUGA scan (to check my heart), a complete lung function test, 4 pregnancy tests (haha) and numerous lab work.
My super cool sister sent me a bright pink "Cancer Sucks" tshirt and my wonderful husband Pat went to the store and got me assorted goodies (crackers, gatorade...etc) to take to chemo tomorrow. I went last week and got my new short haircut from my stylist Julian in anticipation of losing my hair in a few weeks. It looks snazzy as usual. I am planning to get him to shave my head once my hair starts coming out in clumps. I think it will be easier than losing huge chunks of hair. I also ordered some cool scarves, a turban and two hats. No wigs for me. It is too dang hot in Texas for fake hair!
Yesterday I started my anti-nausea meds. I am participating in a study to test out new anti-nausea treatment. It is sponsored by MD Anderson Cancer Center and Wilford Hall (where I go for chemo). I am hoping that by participating in this study I will help get new measures passed with the FDA to allow the use of these drugs to help other cancer patients. I debated whether to do it or not and decided that since my treatment and prognosis look good, it would be easier on me to test something new than maybe someone worse off than me. Whatever I can do to help fight the fight!
Monday I met with my radiation-oncologist, Dr Dullea. He is also Pat's doctor and we think so very highly of him. He is just all-around great. I am definately in good hands (and God's hands too of course!) I will do a few weeks of radiation after my chemo. I got my radiation mask made and it wasn't too bad- kinda like having a warm wet washcloth over your face. Not great but I managed.
Today I had my port placed. It is on the inside of my right upper arm. Right now my arm hurts like heck and is all bruised up looking, but the actual procedure was pretty easy and done with conscious sedation. I liked that they played music and the operating table had memory foam to lay on so it was very comfy! Having the port will make getting my IV meds so much easier and will 'save' my good arm veins. Pat has a port too but his is on his chest (I jokingly refer to it as the third nipple-haha TMI I know). I was teasing Pat today by saying that my port is better than his!
Well, I am off to bed. I will post again soon and let you know how chemo is going.
Thank you all so much for your kind words of support and of course prayers. It means so much to all of us! {{HUGS}}
6 comments:
Hi Friend,
I'll be thinking of you today as you start your chemo. I hope it goes well and the meds make it bearable. I'll give you a call over the weekend.
Love to you, Pat and the kids,
Julie
Tammy,
You're such an amazing person and truly so incredibly special. I am in awe of your spirit. For your children to have to endure this situation with you and Pat...well there isn't anyone who could possibly be more inspiring. You know we are all praying and hoping and sending best wishes your way. I have seriously lost count of all the folks and churches who have you and Pat on their prayer list. Much love and strength to you.
Leslie
Oh our precious Lunks....I told someone that I usually don't whine about life not being fair...but you guys have been dealt more than your fair share of....stuff. However, if YOU can be upbeat and positive, the rest of us better be too!!!!! You know you are in our thoughts and prayers all the time....wish we lived closer...oh, I wish we lived closer. If there is ANYTHING we can do from here...just holler, ok? Big hugs to all of you. Judy
Hello you guys,
I hope you know that we pray for you guys everyday. Your family means so much to us and we wish we could just do more to help! Stay strong and know we are here if you ever need us!
Love bunches,
Roma & Dan
Tammy and Pat,
Your strength absolutely amazes me! You are so strong and inspiring to go through this with such courage and grace and humor. We miss you guys and wish you all the best. We'll be praying for you as we move cross country next week.
With much love,
Monica
PaTam-
You do good work. You're inspiring those small people you've made, and their core values are RIGHT ON.
Post a Comment